New Recipe/New Tasting

Hello all!
Last night was a busy night of baking. I tried two new recipes (well three if you count the new icing recipe)
My first batch consisted of the old fashioned vanilla cupcake-BUT it was sugar free. So that was interesting. I will beging by telling you they turned out great. FYI-spoons & metal mixers dont mix! LOL A disaster was adverted, but interesting sounds came from the kitchen.
To make these babies sugar free I just grabbed Splenda in placement of the sugar. Now, according to the happy people at Splenda, you can sub equal amounts of the sugar substitute for the sugar in the recipe. I dont recommed this. I used one cup of Splenda, though the cake recipe called for two...this was plenty.

As far as the buttercream icing, it is SO much fun opening 120 packets of Splenda to make a recipe. It was late, store was far away, so I managed. It turned out yummy. I did not put alot of vanilla and added a teaspoon of raspberry preserves. It is called the Summer Breeze. (I will upload pics soon)

The same recipe was used for the second batch, but this was the full-on sugar recipe. I actually like the SF better. :P I used confectionar sugar (experimenting) instead of granulated sugar-I think this effected the consistancy & flavor a bit. Lesson learned. They were still good, just not as good as my last batch.
____________________________________________________________________

Tasting #2:The Busy Bakery on Stage Rd

Wow! Was my first response. Now this is what a bakery is supposed to smell like! As soon as you walk in you autmatically tell yourself, "I want one of everything!" :) But it is cupcake week only for this gal.
Unfortunately, cupcakes were not their high point. They only had three flavors:Strawberry, SF vanilla & SF chocolate. I opted for Strawberry. It did look quite yummy. And for a 1.50 you cant really go wrong.
So here I am with my cake and let me tell you....rock on! Fresh strawberry butter cream, fresh strawberry cake....oh my. This was one of the best I have eaten all week. AND NO SPRINKLES! Thank God! :)
Spoke to a young lady that works there and she stated one of the decorators left and they were a bit short handed-therefore no cupcakes. That's cool. I told her I was taking classes next door starting in Sept on Fondant decorating. (In other words...have some starting Sept!) :P

Nice work ladies....peace, love & cupcakes....

The Cupcake Lady

0 comments:

Post a Comment