Cupcake Test #1: Muddy's Bake Shop

First of all, I am not a professional critic, just a plump "Foodie". :) I want to spend this week sampling cupcakes from local bakers and share in their knowledge of style and taste.

My first stop was at Muddy's Bake Shop in Memphis, TN.
My overall impression was "Fun!" Nice environment, fun, funky, hip, however people like to phrase it. Since these rockstars dont advertise, I will do a bit of advertising for them: http://www.muddysbakeshop.com/
Check them out if you are close to Poplar & Mendenhall!

Now, onto the testing:
1st up: Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing. Yummo! I am very please with this one since the cake tastes exactly like my lemon cream for the Pink Lady. (I must be doing something right!)
The lemon icing is tart and sweet. Gotta love it.
The only thing I am not too fond of are the white sprinkles on each of the cakes. It has a hard, crunchy consistancy. I like smooth (but that is my personal pref, some prefer a mixed texture)

2nd: Chocolate Mint-Grasshopper
The mint icing is a little grainy but tastes okay. Might have put a touch too much mint, it almost tastes like a kind of medicine. Sorry! Can't love em all. Ahh more crunchy sprinkles. :P Oh my the cake is scrumdidilyumptous! Nice and moist. So whats your secret? :) Nice dark chocolate flavor.

3rd: Cappucino (I so know I mispelled, right?)
The icing is a bit hard, seems like it has been setting for a while (of course it is 4 in the afternoon. BUT the taste is yummy. Like I am drinking a smooth & creamy coffee. Right on. Oh bummer the cake is a bit dry. Nice vanilla cake flavor though! I also dig the espresso bean on top.

4th: Plain Jane
Yup, more sprinkles. :P
Not diggin the buttercream. Maybe a bit too much butter? Did I totally say that! WTcrap? I love butter....oh well. The cake is a bit more moist and is a solid vanilla cake. Do you put sour cream in there? Hmmm....

Over all I give Muddy's Bake shop 3.5 out of 5 stars. I bet if I go back early in the day the goods would be even better.

Nice job!

The Cupcake Lady

0 comments:

Post a Comment